WhatsApp tragedy as girl, 13, kills herself when friends remove her from group in 'joke' – Express

whatsapp girl kills herself
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
A 13-year-old girl has tragically killed herself after being removed from a group chat on WhatsApp with her schoolmates. Sofia Sportelli from Monopoli, Italy, took her own life on November 20 when she locked herself in the bathroom while her parents were absent from the family home and hanged herself. Her mother found the girl still clutching her mobile phone in her hands.
Emergency services rushed to the scene and tried everything possible to revive her, but tragically she couldn’t be saved.
The Carabinieri, the national gendarmerie of Italy who primarily carry out domestic and foreign policing duties, have opened an investigation into her death.
They will likely search through the memory of the 13-year-old’s smartphone for clues and to see if she may have been a victim of bullying, according to local media reports.
The Carabinieri will also reportedly analyse the social networks that the girl used and the chats associated with them.
“It was just a joke” were the first words of some friends of the young girl when they were asked to give an account of why the teenager had been excluded from a chat room and had not turned up for her Sunday afternoon appointment at home.
The young girl’s death has sent shockwaves throughout the Apulian municipality, to the point where Mayor Angelo Annese proclaimed a day of mourning for November 22.
He said shortly after he death: “We cannot pretend nothing is happening. I have decided to proclaim a day of mourning for tomorrow.”
The mourning, the mayor explained, was to “manifest in a tangible and solemn manner the grief of the entire city of Monopoli, which associates itself with the family for the tragic loss of the little girl”.
All public events scheduled for November 22 were suspended and flags were flown at half-mast in municipal offices and all public buildings.
Mayor Annese also invited public offices in the municipality, schools, shops and businesses to observe a minute’s silence in conjunction with the start of the funeral ceremony that took place on the same day.
The funeral saw the girl’s white coffin in the midle of the aisle with her father beside it holding the photo of his daughter clutched close his chest throughout.
Several children held white balloons as they left St Anne’s Church and then let fly free, amid applause and tears. The funeral was also attended by Mayor Annese as well as all of the leaders of the police force.

The Samaritans can be reached round the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If you need a response immediately, it’s best to call them on the phone. You can reach them by calling 116 123, by emailing jo@samaritans.org or by visiting www.samaritans.org.
Additional reporting by Maria Ortega.

Sorry, we are unable to accept comments about this article at the moment. However, you will find some great articles which you can comment on right now in our Comment section.
See today’s front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *